Kerameikos is an area of Athens, located to the northwest of the Acropolis, which includes an extensive area both within and outside the city walls, on both sides of the Dipylon (Διπυλον) Gate and by the banks of the Eridanos River. It was the potters’ quarter of the city, from which the English word “ceramic” is derived, and was also the site of an important cemetery and numerous funerary sculptures erected along the road out of the city.
Hilltop remains of a Venetian castle dating to the 11th century, accessed by a hike, with sea views.
The Archaeological Museum of Karpathos is located in one of the three buildings of Eparcheio, a complex that was constructed during the Italian occupation and served as the administrative seat of the island. The museum houses finds from the Prehistoric settlement of Pigadia, the three ancient cities of the islands, as well as artifacts from the early Christian basilicas and the Byzantine settlements. In the rooms of the museum, a replica of a Mycenaean tomb and that of a temple from an early Christian basilica are on display.
Summer season: From 01.04 until 31.10
Opening hours: 08:30 – 15:30, Tuesday closed
Tickets: Full: 3€, Reduced: 2€
Telephone: (+30) 2245023441
|The history of the monastery begins in the 10th century but, after its ruin, the emperor Alexius III, in 1198 granted it to the Serbian rulers Stefan Nemanja and his son Rastko, who became monks (Symeon and Sava respectively) who proseeded to the construction of new buildings. During the 14th century, the monastery reached its highest peak, accumulating riches and heirlooms from imperial as well as private donnations.|
One of the largest and richest in heirlooms monasteries of the Holy Mountain, Chilandariou is the main spiritual center of the Serbs from the 12th century onwards. Besides the central church (Katholicon), honoured in the memory of the Presentation of the Virgin, there are many chapels, the refectory and the aisles with the monks/ cells as well as the other auxiliary buildings (guest-house, library and others).
The present monastic community preserves close relations with the Serbian people as well as the Greek population of the Holy Mountain and its neighbouring area.
Apart from the abundance of frescoes (St. George/s Tower, Katholicon, old and new Refectory etc), the monastery possesses one of the largest libraries of Slavonic and Greek manuscripts, as well as a large number of portable icons dated in the 12th century onwards.
Odontotos is not just a train. Vouraikos gorge and Odontotos rack railway Diakopto – Kalavrita is a unique attraction in Greece. An area full of towns, villages, hospitable inhabitants, unique environment and the scent of Greek life. In order to write the history of this place we need volumes of books but a trip on the train will give you a real taste.
More information: https://www.odontotos.com/index-en.htm
The Academy of Athens forms part of the so-called “Neoclassical Trilogy” of the City of Athens: Academy – University – Library. It consists of aesthetically distinct parts that form a harmonic ensemble of built mass. A corridor connects the two lateral wings to the main body of the building, which -in its proportions of line and mass- is set-off by its Ionian-style entrance and its big pediment. The entrance has elements originating from the eastern side of Erechtheion, on Acropolis. The predominant material on the facets is marble. Overall, the building is a characteristic example of mature Neoclassicism.
It was built in two phases, in 1859-1863 and 1868-1885, based on studies of the Danish architect Theophile Hansen and it is believed to be his most exquisite work in Greece. Hansen himself was also supervising the construction up to 1861 when E. Ziller took over. The embossed compositions on the central pediment and the statues outside are works of the sculptor L. Drosis. The embossed compositions on the eight small pediments are worked by Fr. Melnizki (1875) and the wall-paintings in the interior were made by K. Grupenckel
The main donator to finance the construction was the family of the Baron Simon Sinas, Ambassador of Greece in Vienna, Berlin and Munich. In 1887, the architect Hernest Ziller, acting as proxy of Sinas’ heirs, delivered the building complete to the then Prime Minister Charilaos Trikoupis. Academy of Athens forms part of the so-called “Neoclassical Trilogy” of the City of Athens: Academy – University – Library. It consists of aesthetically distinct parts that form a harmonic ensemble of built mass.
28 Eleftherios Venizelos Ave., Τ.Κ. 12345, Athens (Prefecture of Attiki)
Telephone: +30 210 3600207
Fax: +30 210 3642918
Open: Winter: From the 1st of November until the 31 of March 2010, 8:30-15:00
Summer: Open during the working days and hours
The National Archaeological Museum is the largest museum in Greece and one of the world’s great museums. Although its original purpose was to secure all the finds from the nineteenth century excavations in and around Athens, it gradually became the central National Archaeological Museum and was enriched with finds from all over Greece. Its abundant collections, with more than 20,000 exhibits, provide a panorama of Greek civilization from the beginnings of Prehistory to Late Antiquity.
More information: https://www.namuseum.gr/en/
The Aegean Maritime Museum is a non-profit institution. It was founded in 1983 and in 1985 it opened its doors to the public, on the island of Mykonos. The goal of the museum is the preservation, promotion and study of the Greek maritime history and tradition, and in particular the evolution and activities of the merchant ship, chiefly in the historic region of the Aegean Sea. The founder and chairman of the Museum’s board of Trustees, the Myconian George M. Drakopoulos has been honoured for the foundation of the Museum with the Athens Academy Award and with the World Ship Trust’s Award for Individual Achievement.
In the museum’s garden lie reproductions of ancient marble gravestones from the islands of Myconos and Delos, dealing with shipwrecks and sailors who were lost at sea.
The Aegean Maritime Museum was the first museum in Greece that rescued and restored living historical exhibits to operate as they were originally designed and built: The “Armenistis” lighthouse (built in 1890), the “perama” type sailing ship “Evangelistria” (built in 1940) and the cable-laying ship “Thalis o Milesios” (built in 1909). The “Armenistis” lighthouse operates again in the Museum’s garden, in Mykonos, while “Evangelistria” and “Thalis o Milesios” are berthed at the Hellenic Navy’s Museum wharf at the Paleo Phaliro marina.
The Aegean Maritime Museum participates in international conferences and exhibitions, as well as in the festivities of the Hellenic Navy for the “Maritime Week”. It has also developed a significant publishing activity in the area of the Greek maritime history.
10 Enoplon Dynameon St., Mykonos (Prefecture of Kiklades)
Telephone: +30 210 8125547
Fax: +30 210 8125580
From the 1st of November until the 31 of March 2010:
The Museum of the Ancient Agora is housed in the reconstructed Stoa of Attalos, originally erected during the 2nd cent. BC as a gift of the king of Pergamon, Attalos II, to Athens.
The exhibition in the Museum gallery holds archaeological finds coming from the systematic excavations of the American School of Classical Studies in the area and dated from the Neolithic to the Post-byzantine and Ottoman periods.
The Museum exhibition is organized in chronological and thematic units that reveal aspects of the public and private life in ancient Athens.
The earliest antiquities, potsherds, vases, terracotta figurines and weapons, dating from the Neolothic , Bronze Age, Iron Age and Geometric period, come from wells and tombs excavated in the area of the Athenian Agora and its environs.
The most important exhibits are the objects associated with the various departments of civic life and the institutions of the Athenian Democracy and are dated from the Classical and Late Classical periods. Among them are exhibited official clay measures, bronze official weights, a fragment of a marble allotment machine, official jurors? identification tags, a clay water-clock, official bronze ballots, and potsherds inscribed with names of illustrious political personalities of the 5th cent. BC Athens which were used as ballots in the process of ostracism,
Of special interest is a marble stele adorned with a relief showing the People (Demos) of Athens being crowned by Democracy and inscribed with a law against tyranny passed by the people of Athens in 336 BC. Also exhibited are fine specimens of black-figured and red-figured pottery – some attributed to renowned vase painters-, as well as kitchen and table ware, lamps, terracotta figurines, coins and jewelry.
Finally on display are a collection of miniature Roman copies of famous statues and a number of particularly fine portrait busts and heads of the Roman period.
24 Adrianou Str., Τ.Κ. 10555, Athens (Prefecture of Attiki)
Telephone: +30 210 3210185, 3214825, 3210180
Fax: 210 3210196
Tickets: Full: €10, Reduced: €5
The Palaiopolis-Mon Repos Museum opened its doors to the public in 2001.
The mansion, in which the Museum is currently housed, was built at the time of British rule by Sir Frederick Adam, Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian islands. It is a typical example of early 19th century neoclassical architecture (1828-1831).
The permanent display, based on two main themes, is spread over fourteen galleries.
Aspects of the history of the building and the ancient monuments in the surrounding area are presentend through authentic objects and visual aids.
Mon Repos Estate, Τ.Κ. 49131, Kerkyra (Prefecture of Kerkira)
Telephone: +30 26610 41369
From November 1st, until March, 31st the reduced price of the single ticket applies independently to all visitors.
Special ticket package: Full: €15, Reduced: €-
The special ticket package is valid for 3 days.
From November 1st, 2022 until March 31st, 2023:
From April 1st to October 31st, 2023:
Daily, except Tuesday, 08.30-15.30
Good Friday 14.04.2023: 12.00-17.00
Holy Saturday 15.04.2023: 08.30-15.30
Easter Sunday 16.04.2023: Closed
Last admission to the Museum: 20 minutes before closing. The Mon Repos Estate is open everyday 08.30-17.00 and the entrance is free.
The highest waterfall in Greece, the Kremastos Waterfall (Kremasto Nero), falling from a height of 180 m.
More information: http://canyoning-caving.blogspot.com/2011/06/blog-post_25.html
Akanthos was the most important city and harbour of NE Chalkidiki. It was founded in the middle of the 7th century B.C. by colonists from Andros, on the site of a prehistoric settlement. The city extends on a ridge almost 600 m. SE of modern Ierissos.
Sections of the fortification walls of the city are preserved, including an impressive part of the acropolis; the whole area, though, is covered with architectural members and buildings of the Classical and, mainly, the Hellenistic period.
The extensive cemetery of the city, containing some 13000 graves, lies on the shore and was used from the Archaic period (7th, 6th centuries B.C.) until the 17th century.
Ierissos, Τ.Κ. 63075, Ierissos, Chalkidiki (Prefecture of Halkidiki)
Telephone: +302371022060, +302310285163, +302377023578
Fax: +302310251892, +302377023578
08:30-15:30 (only the protected part of the ancient Acanthos cemetery)
Closed on Weekends
Medieval aqueduct Kavala. The Aqueduct of Kavala, popularly known as the Kamares is a well-preserved aqueduct in the city of Kavala, Greece, and is one of the city’s landmarks.
More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueduct_of_Kavala